Monday, November 27, 2006

Confessions of an Antique-Hater Turned Appreciator

I remember days as a youngster when I was forced to go antiquing with my mother … I’d trudge through lengthy aisles filled with what I perceived as junk, my mom as treasures.

I never understood the appeal of “old” things until recently. I’m not sure if my newfound appreciation is because I now find myself immersed in the world of antiques, but I’m really starting to recognize the charm and character of all things (ok, some things) vintage.

Now when I see that someone purchases an antique flatware set for nearly $2,000 I don’t say, “Who in their right mind pays thousands of dollars for old as dirt silverware that some random dead people ate with!?” Instead I say, “Who the heck has thousands of dollars to pay for this fabulously attractive set of flatware?”

I’ve made it. I’m an actual “antique appreciator.” I now recognize their appeal; I just can’t get myself past the price tag. Maybe someday I’ll get there and become a true blue “antiquer.”

I poked around our antique store's aisles and shelves and found a few favorites ...
Lately, I love antique pottery. It’s simple and naturally beautiful. I actually prefer some of the less than perfect pieces that remind you that the piece is truly original and that someone actually sat down at their pottery wheel and crafted it. I personally like the blue decorated pieces better, but can see the appeal of the plain pieces too!
Here is my favorite piece, a stoneware jug with cobalt blue decoration.
I also really like vintage oil lamps. There is a huge variety of colors and styles and I think they’d make fabulous additions to a number of decorating schemes. Here is my favorite one. I love the deep purple shade and the embossed stars on the lamp’s base. Adding to the charm of this lamp (and in keeping with the celestial theme) is the word, “Twinkle” embossed on the front. So cute!


And finally, I absolutely adore antique pie safes. The intricately designed tins really give them such character. I might actually allow myself to invest in one someday. I think that they make a fabulous alternative to a typical entertainment center. (I know. Doing so might involve some alterations. Said alterations may be enough to make some shun my idea, but I’m just a lame old “appreciator” not a real “antiquer” yet, remember?)

No comments: